Monday 7 April 2008

Goofy, Ren and Stimpy, Roger Rabbit and Ed, Edd n Eddy




All these images are taken from the Goofy cartoon "The Art of Self-Defence".

Goofy's the best. He's the perfect example of animation in its basic action. Look at his expressions, the way he poses, the fluidity. I hope to capture some of that in my character designs.

I have now looked at some other contemporary animations that are influenced by these classic characters.

Bob Clampet obviously heavily influences John K’s Ren and Stimpy. The characters hardily ever stay on model and are continuously re-moulded into different shapes depending on the expression. The characters are created of simple circles and pears to give them an organic feel. The type of humour in the show is that of writing for the characters and casting the characters in a variety of different situations.

Ed, Edd n Eddy, I like the character designs in this show and the exaggerated facial expressions. I also like the relationship between Edd and Eddy. The loudmouth is constantly abusing the loudmouth show-off who really doesn’t know anything and the shy, intelligent one that.

Roger Rabbit, this is pure Tex Avery influence mayhem. The massive exaggerated expressions and fast action, just scream classic cartoons. If I could get a fraction of this into my ident, it would be great.


The Art of Self Defense


Part 1 of a Documentary about Ren and Stimpy

An old NickToons advert

Documentary behind Ed, Edd n Eddy. I couldn't find any clips.

Roller Coaster Rabbit


No comments: